E10 petroleum fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 petroleum fuel

E10 petrol has now gone on sale in the UK. I understand this means more ethanol in the mix. Does anyone know what effect this will have on a Suzuki DF engine?
    Dave Bradford

None, your engine will run fine on an Ethanol blend. Where the problems start is with moisture, ethanol has an affinity to attract moisture and separate especially during storage.(winter) Once separated you end up with a layer of water in your fuel tank which your engine will not burn and cause all kinds of problems with your fuel system. IMHO I would stay clear of an ethanol blended fuel. Most premium fuels do not have ethanol but check with your fuel supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
      Most premium fuels do not have ethanol but check with your fuel supplier.
      I'd have to respectfully disagree with you here, Murray. The grade of fuel, i.e., premium vs regular, or 91/93 octane vs 85/87 octane, has no bearing on the ethanol content. Both have up to 10% ethanol from most distributors, and the pumps state that. If you want ethanol-free fuel, you best find a pump that specifically says it's ethanol-free. I carry a test kit around to eliminate any doubt when fueling the boat at unfamiliar stations. And even periodically check those stations that I know, just to make sure. You're correct that the engines will run fine on gasohol, but with my 60 gallon tank, that often doesn't all get used up in one year, I don't want any ethanol in there.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

My Suzuki manual says up to 10% ethanol is OK.

“E10” fuel designation is to show that the fuel has up to 10% ethanol. So it wont hurt to run your Suzuki 4 stroke on it. Their fuel pumps, lines and other rubber components are designed to deal with it.

But I am 100% with the other guys - I avoid using it.

In the marine environment , where the moisture and spray mist is unavoidable, plus the frequent times where the boat might sit for many weeks or even months with fuel just sitting in the tank, which brings condensation risks. Man, for me - I just avoid it. At the very least you need to treat the fuel with stabilisers to help protect them.

I will add that once the moisture content gets too high and phase separation occurs, there is no retrieving that situation - that fuel is now rubbish and has to be pumped out and disposed of.

The other things to be aware of is that the boat’s fuel system has to be ethanol proof - so the fuel tank and fuel lines and filters between the tank and engine must be rated to take ethanol.

Fibreglass fuel tanks - as far as I am aware, are not safe for ethanol.

Fuel lines need to be specifically rate to use ethanol. Many are not. They disintegrate internally and contaminate fuel filters, fuel pumps, fuel injection etc. That is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you here, Murray. The grade of fuel, i.e., premium vs regular, or 91/93 octane vs 85/87 octane, has no bearing on the ethanol content. Both have up to 10% ethanol from most distributors, and the pumps state that. If you want ethanol-free fuel, you best find a pump that specifically says it's ethanol-free. I carry a test kit around to eliminate any doubt when fueling the boat at unfamiliar stations. And even periodically check those stations that I know, just to make sure. You're correct that the engines will run fine on gasohol, but with my 60 gallon tank, that often doesn't all get used up in one year, I don't want any ethanol in there.

You are correct, somewhat. My next post I will attempt to copy a link and hope ***** will allow the link.

Comment

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB

Many premium fuels are Ethanol free, not all though as you pointed out. Still a good idea to check with your supplier. Sorry BowansReward the link is of no use to you. There must be something similar in the the UK.
            Last edited by Murray; 08-10-2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

.That's a good website to find non-ethanol gas, Murray. I've used it for years.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Do not put ethanol /gas in you motor, unless you plan to use all the gas in a short period of time (2-3 days). Ethanol produce a content of water in the gas after a few days, beside it has a high molecular wait. It will corrode with the time the inside or you fuel system parts (VST, regulator, high pressure pump, water separator, gas filter etc.). It happen to my DF 150. Is not going to happen in a year or two, but will happen for sure.

Comment

Update on this. Living in a rural area it is not easy to conveniently finding non-ethanol fuel. At the end of last season I was left with about 30l of fuel in my tank which I will syphon out before I have her serviced for the new season.

As for disposing of this fuel. Although not reliable for my boat I've read up on water removal from this unwanted fuel. Buy adding water to the fuel at about 20:1 and shaking thoroughly, allow to settle & then drain this removes the water & ethanol!! This effectively reduces the octane rating of the fuel, but if mixed with high octane balances out. In the UK with fuel heading towards £2 per liter this is worth doing & using in a small car.
                  Dave Bradford

Comment

Canada has had E10 Mandated since 2002. All Fuel except Shell's High Grade had 10% Ethenal. We have no Shell Stations locally so I have run E10 since. 2 Stroke Yamaha and now a DF140 since 2017. I am a weekend Boater, with a 33 gallon tank, burn 3-6 gallons a weekend. Store with a full Conditioned Tank all winter Dec-May.

No Issues. The 2 Strokes had to empty the Carbs for Storage, but it is fine otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X